Thursday, February 2, 2012

To Know His Word

I wanted to share a method of memorizing scripture that I learned last summer during a women's Bible Study!  I have always tried to memorize scripture, but would only work on it for a few days, then forget about it.  Or, I would memorize the verse, then forget it 2 weeks later.  Now, what is the use in that?

Some may wonder why it is important to memorizing scripture.  There are so many places in the Bible that teaches us why it is important: knowing His word to keep our lives pure (Ps 119:9), used for teaching and admonishing one another (Col. 3:16), know the Word accurately and can know when you hear false teaching (2 Tim. 2:15), Psalm 119 tell us of the passion we should have for His Word.  We can memorize verses that will comfort us in time of need, direct us in a decision, reinforce His promises in times of doubt, give us strength to work diligently for the Lord (Col. 3:23-24).


This method of memorizing scripture as been extremely effective! I remember verses that I first memorized back in June, when I started it with the Bible Study.  I can't tell you how many times these verses have come to my mind in time of need (for comfort, direction, encouragement, etc).  Here it is:


Get yourself a index card box or binder.  I got a binder because it is small and fit anywhere if I want to bring it anywhere.  This is what mine looks like when I open it up...





I think I got this one at Office Depot.  It came with two tabs.  You want to make a section for "Daily", "Weekly", and "Monthly".  The verses in the front of mine are the "Daily" verses.  




I put the number of verse that I am on in the left hand corner.  In the right hand corner, I put the month and year that I started memorizing it.  This is just for me to know. Of course, you don't have to do this!



On the back of the index card, Write "D, W, M" to represent "Daily, Weekly, Monthly".  You will read the verse once a day for 50 days, then once a week for 50 weeks, then once a month for 50 months.  I know that it sounds like a lot at first.  All you have to do is read the verse once in that day.  I add one verse each week.  Sometimes, you may have 25 verses to read in one day, but if you only reading them once, it will only take a few minutes!



This really is such an easy method and is extremely effective! I am so grateful that our Bible Study leader shared this method with us because it has definitely been such a wonderful discipline in my life.  I hope I have shared a method that will encourage at least one person.  

If none of the verses above encouraged you to memorize scripture, let the truth that it is God's words, a way that He communicates to us, be the reason for knowing His word by heart!

This will surely bless you!

19 comments:

  1. This is a great idea. I may have to try it!
    -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always been one of those persons which memorizes something until the day of the test, then forget it. But reading it out loud daily, and even putting emphasis on different words each time it's read should be a GREAT way to learn the verse and have it written on your heart.

    Thanks so much for sharing this and your story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks this looks really cool! I might try it too:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to try this, and share with my friends as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found one today @ Office Depot. My question is one verse per week. So, we do a new verse every week but go back to the first verse to do it weekly. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m excited to try this! My heart is definitely longing to memorize His Word and repeat it often. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a wonderful idea! Thank you for sharing. Will try it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is great! I've been looking for ways to increase retention of scriptures. Very helpful, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds interesting. Will try it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definitely will try been trying to memorize verses for a while hope this works thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  13. For over 4 months I start writing verses on a binder books with different color paper. I will try your method. GOD bless you always!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I’m going to start today!!!! I’m 68 years old and I know verses but struggle to remember “where” they are in the Bible. Thank you for sharing this method.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Judy! Me too @ 62! I'm with you and pray that we both young things can learn new methods to memorizing His Precious Word!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much for sharing! I made one for me last week. I showed it to my junior high bible class today and they wanted one --- which I just so happened to have brought one for them in my bag if they were interested. Your idea is life-changing if this helps even one of us choose God's way because we have God's word in our heart. "Thy word I have hid in my heart that I might not sin against Thee" (Ps 119:11)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This reply is really late but maybe it'll help clear things up for someone else.
    I understand that each week she adds a new verse, but until it's been read daily 50 times it remains in the daily section, after which it goes into the weekly section, where it is read 50 times weekly, after which it is moved to the monthly section..

    ReplyDelete