Recently, I got to make a trip to New York for my first time! One of my best friends, Paige, just moved up there in September because she is adventurous and spontaneous. No really, she moved up there because this was a perfect time in her life to just move to a new city, find a job, and love life! I mean, how fun is that? I am so glad she took advantage of this time in her life, because there are not many times (if none at all) in life where you can just say "I am going to go live in New York for a while!" I am so happy for her that she is experiencing another pace of life, another culture, a new job, and new relationships!
Before I left, do you know what one thing that I might have been only slightly nervous about? Getting a taxi. I know, I know laugh at me. I am really not nervous to do or try anything new. I think I was picturing a bunch of people waving down taxis along with me trying to do the same and someone abruptly jumping in the one I hailed down. Because, well, that is how I pictured New York. I grew up in Dallas, so I know what a "big city" is like; however, I knew that New York was different level of "big city". Don't worry, the taxi issue played out just fine except when me or the taxi driver didn't really know where we were going at one point. To ease nerves (mostly my mom's nerves), we figured it out together and he was the nicest taxi driver!
As we were circling NYC and preparing for landing, I am pretty sure I saw Times Square from the airplane. Once I was on the ground and got to see Times Square for myself, I realized how that was a great possibility considering it is so bright that for a second you might think it was daytime. Anyways, I got to Paige's apartment and waited for a little bit for her to get back from work. She is a nanny to a great family and has the most hilarious stories about one of the kiddos. I think Paige might be secretly in a nanny reality show considering the consistent hilarious moment she shares with me. It had been five months since I had seen this girl, so needless to say we embraced each other for a good couple minutes. Anybody else might find that an awkward amount of time, but I consider it just making it up for all the hugs that would've been given and received during five months. A lot of squealing and "Omg, I am so happy", "I can't believe I am here" moments occurred. We didn't waste any time and headed out towards Times Square. Let me just say, I had my first NYC subway system experience this night and it was the most confusing, "how did you know to get on this one?", "how do you know all of these streets and where the subway stops are? moment ever for me. I was so impressed with Paige and kept telling how proud I was of her, because I don't think she would mind me saying that directions were not her strong suite while we were in Dallas :-) I was so happy to see her grow up in front of my eyes, hehe.
We went and ate at this restaurant (Oops, forgot the name) and had some amazing pizza. We met Matt, Paige's awesome boyfriend, for dessert at Juniors. It was so great to see Matt because I met Matt and Paige at the same time when we all worked at Pine Cove a couple years ago. Sunday morning we got up and went straight to the roof of her apartment to take some pictures against an amazing view of New York.
|
We frolicked and skipped and giggled our way down to Central Park. Ok, maybe none of those actions took place. However, our moods would've matched them perfectly. Central Park is bigger than I ever expected. People are getting their work out on, food trucks and carts, children playing, fountains, and... caricatures? Yes. Guess what? Paige thought it would be a great idea to sit down and let the guy draw us and let people laugh at us. Do you know what the hilarious result was? It looked like the SAME person, twice! Paige and I have come to realize we look nothing a like. So, when we saw this...sketch. We were confused and I think the poor artist could see it on our face. However, it was a hilarious adventure that we will remember!
On our way out, we had a magical idea of topping our cheesiest moment ever and capturing it. We asked this gentlemen to take our picture. When he grabbed the camera, I stopped him and said "Please don't judge us. We are about to get really cheesy and you might laugh at us". We took our places and BAM! Cheesiness captured. I am not ashamed. It captures our relationship perfectly. Also, I will not complain about the amazing background!
We walked around any girls' dream location: 5th avenue. Tiffany's, Louie Vuitton, Bergdorff Goodman, and all their fellow, luxurious sisters. Obviously, Paige and I tried to walk in and acted like it was a reality for us shopping there, but I am not sure our dropped jaws and "oohhhss aahhhs" hid that very well.
That night, we went to the famous restaurant, Serendipity's for some serious dessert! Happy that I got to experience some of the restaurants everyone talks about when they go visit New York. Monday morning, we got up early to go get tickets for Sister Act on Broadway for that night's show. So exciting!! I am just going to go ahead and say that it was a flawless, entertaining performance. I think my jaw may have been dropped several times from the amazing talent that was on the stage. I was amazed that they performed like it was their first time, even though they do this night after night!
We decided to head to Rockefeller Center to stop by the Today Show. By this time, it was about 10:45am and so we weren't expecting to see anything since the show wraps up around 11:00am (I think). Nevertheless, I was so excited to go because I watch the Today Show all.the.time. If I am home in the mornings it is at least on in the background! When I can watch the later segment, Kathie Lee and Hoda Kotb crack me up. Anyways, we walk around the corner and there they are sitting in the window! It was so strange seeing someone you have seen on TV for several years right there. We were both very giddy!!
At this point, there is a lady next to me screaming "KATHIE LEE!!! KATHIE!!!!". I immediately ducked out of the way because I didn't want to be on TV with her. I am sorry, ok? I am sure she is a really fun woman. I mean you would have to be really fun to be willing to yell at Kathie with the camera pointing at you. So, kindly, I stepped away because I wanted her to have her moment of glory, because those were my intentions of course. In reality, I laughed really hard and actually did duck out of the way. In the end, Kathie Lee kindly turned around smiled and waved. Happy Ending for funny, nice lady.
At one point during our miles of walking, I realized we were sprinting. Ok, not really. Sprint-walking. Everyone is in a hurry in NY, even if you are not actually in a hurry. I mean, I got a great workout. But, hey, let's stop and smell the....cement or just take it in. I loved diving into NY culture. That is a main reason why I love traveling. I love to see the "normal" for other people. What they see and do on a normal day. It is so interesting and exciting to me!
| Sweet, cute Magnolia Bakery |
The next day, Paige had to work, so I was on my own to explore the city! This was exciting for me. At this time, I felt fairly confident of my subway skills. I am sure I did not appear confident, since many of my friends have told me that you can tell what I am clearly thinking by looking at my face. I have been working on that recently, because as you can imagine, that is not always a very good quality and could ensue an awkward situation. I had the opportunity of going to Greenwich Village to go see my Mom's cousin Debra, her husband John, Jake (son), and Jessica (Debra's niece). They were SO gracious to take me to lunch and show me around Greenwich Village. I loved it!
I think if I ever lived in NYC that is where I would want to live. The next day, I said goodbye to NYC with a farewell meal at Shake Shack with a new friend, Sarah, Paige's roommate :) Thanks for showing me around Brooklyn!
Even though my post was long, I wanted to record my amazing adventure in New York City with Paige and all that I was thinking and seeing while I was there. I am so grateful that I was able to go and visit her and see her life there. She was an excellent tour guide. I am so thankful for her! She has been a loyal, loving, adventurous best friend. I loved that even though it had been five months, as soon as I saw her it felt like I saw her yesterday!
No comments:
Post a Comment