Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Significance of "The Delightful Hour"

I started thinking about what I would name this blog.  I wanted it to be something different that easily encompassed everything, because this blog isn't just about one topic. Over the passed few years, the Lord has brought my attention and my heart to the word "delight". 

 "Delight" : a high degree of gratification, joy, extreme satisfaction, to take great pleasure.  
My senior year through my sophomore year of college, I read and reread a book called "Passion and Purity" by Elisabeth Elliot.   One of my favorite parts in that book is when she discusses the possibility of us being able "...to waste the present altogether" (p. 78). That hit me hard that we can so easily be guilty of that very action.

The Lord has ordained my life...He knows where I will be at one moment in what hour no matter the significance.  But that's just it, I'm placing a level of significance on one thing or the other.  Meaning, I'm deeming certain things as not significant at all.  Ok, y'all, that doesn't mean that I'm thinking, "oh, dang, I'm about to go to Walgreens...this is significant...I should delight in this...". No, not the case.  What I'm trying to say is wrapped up in one of my favorite quotes of all time, which is also in the same book "Passion and Purity":

"Wherever you are, be all there.  Live to the hilt every situation you believe to be the will of God." - Jim Elliot (Elisabeth Elliot's late husband)
To me, this quote means that we are to be aware of our surroundings and circumstances....aware to the Lord's will.  "Delight yourself in the Lord..." (Psalm 37:3), "I delight to do your will" (Psalm 40:8).  Depending on your version, it says we should delight in the word and commandments of the Lord nine different times in Psalm 119. Therefore, if we are to follow His word as believers and believe that our life is ordained by the Lord, then we need to delight in it.

With all that said, I am continually being taught by the Lord that no matter if I am working, doing dishes, cleaning up something messy, having a conversation, studying, enjoying the outdoors, being tested, caring for others, dealing with a difficult situation...no matter where I am, what I am doing, who I am with I need to be sure I am delighting in the very hour that God has so graciously given me.  Delighting may look many different ways.  Sometimes, I hear of horrible trials people are facing and I think, "Ok, Lord, how are they supposed to delight in this situation or "consider it pure joy" (James 1:2)?" A circumstance that I may face might be so difficult that all I can do is turn to His word and delight in it.  That may be the only thing I can truly do to be delighting in that hour of that circumstance.  

I intentionally titled my blog "The Delightful Hour", so that each time I visit it and come to write, I will be reminded that very moment "Have I been delighting in the hours of today?".  It's a way to remind myself of this truth and hopefully encourage others.

I am not very good at explaining things and I do not write very often.  However, I hope that I got the point and truth of "The Delightful Hour" across to whoever reads this post.

Do not forget:  Even though we are commanded to delight in Him and His word.  Remember, He first delighted in us by loving us enough to send His son to die in our place, while we were enemies of Him. Because of that, we may have a genuine relationship with Him that we may live in His grace on earth and eternally with Him in heaven.

1 comment:

  1. I love your new blog, Amanda! And the meaning behind your title is wonderful! Can't wait to start reading all of your posts! :) Welcome to the blogging world!

    ReplyDelete