Monday, October 17, 2011

House Projects: Headboard & Entertainment Center

The past few months, Lee and I have been working on a few house projects! They were a little bit time consuming, but I am so happy the way they turned out.  Let's be honest, Lee is my hero and can make/build anything and did all the hard work.  I did most of the sanding, painting, decorating.  I told him that it was dangerous, because now I know what he is capable of and will be having more projects down the road ;-)

Our first project: Old Door Headboard for our guest room.  Got this idea from a picture on pinterest from this blog (the last picture on that post).

This is the old door that I found at an antique shop to use for the project.

List: old door, decorative trim (from Lowe's), primer, sanding tools, and putty.

Lee quickly realized that the door was disproportional (one long window, one short) & too long for the bed.  So he worked his magic and cut off the end, saving the end panel, and piecing it back together to make it look even.

Finished Product!

Close up of the trim and distressed look. I sanded the edges, painted stain on the sanded areas,  & quickly wiped it off with an old rag to give it that aged/distressed look.

Our second project: an entertainment center.

I was so excited about this project, because I originally found this "look" on pottery barn.  I already knew about ana-white.com, which provides you with hundreds of free PDF plans for furniture.  I went to see what kind of plans they had for entertainment centers and found the same look!

Hard working husband getting started!



Working on painting together

Finished product! Didn't he do a fantastic job? I really love the knobs as well, they dress it up a bit! It is exactly what I had pictured and it could not have turned out better. It really helps our living room feel complete.

Who am I? I used to tell my mom that I did not like the word "hobbies".  Even though, I now love Hobby Lobby, making things, cooking, etc.  She always encouraged me to have a "hobby".  I guess, I didn't want to have something called a hobby because I didn't want to be stuck with that thing if I changed my mind, haha!  That's why I don't have a jewelry blog, or a craft blog, or a recipe blog, or a story blog, but I have an everything blog.  I am just that way....I don't have "favorites" with much of any category.  I like to change things up! Sometimes I like to stay in and make things and other days I would much rather be out playing a sport.  Oh well, keeps life interesting.  

1 comment:

  1. And Lee probably would have gotten a lot of that stuff done faster if Jack didn't come see him every single time he was outside. Y'all are so good to him!!

    ReplyDelete